Tuesday, August 20, 2013

My new favorite commie-era mural

I can't believe I've been living here for nearly two years and I only just found out about this:



This is my new favorite commie mural in Bratislava, and it's located in a courtyard of the otherwise fairly drab technical university, right by the corner of Radlinského ulica and Jánska. I've walked by here numerous times, but never bothered (or had any reason) to venture into the university. I'm not sure if I can really decipher it, but I love how it's kind of a crazy amalgam of styles: like a weird fusion of Kandinsky, constructivism (esp. Moholy-Nagy), a touch of Charley Harper, maybe a smidgen of Klimt, a wee bit of art deco, and a dab of 60s Yellow Submarine psychedelic pop art. I love it.

Click on the photos to enlarge them and see more detail.




I discovered it courtesy of a photographer who passed through Bratislava this summer and posted photos of it on Flickr. As soon as I saw the photos, I had to head over there to see it in person.

I've already worked it into my self-guided walking tour of communist-era Bratislava.

Of course, this makes me wonder how many other murals like this are out there that I haven't stumbled into yet. If anyone reading this knows about any other similarly cool commie-era murals that are tucked away around the city, please let me know so I can check them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment